The best free to play games that you can still play in 2020! We have all downloaded and tried tons of games over the years. These titles are still popular and thrive in 2020. Being stuck at home during quarantine, now is a great time to try some of these free titles. If you don’t enjoy the game, then it is simple to uninstall! No refund process is necessary!
Prepare to enjoy hours upon hours of games you can play for free. With the rise of digital downloads and increasing internet speeds, access to free high quality games is at your finger tips. Simply registering an account will allow you to play these nine games we’re listing here for you.
Fortnite – Free to play Third-person Shooter BR by Epic Games
Over the shoulder view and a fight for survival.
Exploding in popularity, this game has dominated the free to play market for gamers in a wide range of demographics. This title originally released as a Third Person Shooter, co-op tower defense game. After seeing the success of titles such as PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Epic Games took their game in the same direction. Fortnite is currently in Season 4 and awaiting new players to come and play. Whether you want to play competitively against others or play a few matches casually, this game may be for you.
How to play: Fortnite is a battle royale game. The objective, simplified, is for you or your team to be the last ones standing. You will start in a flying bus that has a predetermined path across the playing field. Players choose when to exit and fly to zones that contain loot, such as weapons/ammo and healing/shielding consumables. You’ll also want to use your melee weapon (pickaxe) to destroy buildings, trees, and other objects for building materials. The building modes will allow you to reinforce your position or protect yourself from in coming attacks. “The Storm” is a “motivator”. A motivator is a mechanic that will force players into a smaller area by making the map deadly. Standing in the storm will deplete your health while inside and deal more damage the longer the game has lasted. Drop in, loot, farm materials, survive to the end.
Reasons to try:
- Free to Play. This game costs nothing to play.
- Not pay-to-win. All microtransactions in this game are cosmetic only and do not affect gameplay. There are no advantages to gameplay by purchasing skins or emotes.
- Supports both casual and competitive players. Relaxing and dropping in and out of matches works well with Fortnite. Improving your skills, such as aiming, building, decision making, and resource management provide a place for competitive players to thrive.
- Playable on low-end PC builds, consoles, and mobile. This game supports cross-play between platforms.
League of Legends – Free to Play MOBA by Riot Games
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. Strategy and decisions is what its all about.
There is a lot to say about League of Legends or LoL. Revered as one of the best MOBA games of all time, it continues to grow its player base. Released in 2009, League of Legends peaked in popularity in 2013 and still holds interest for a lot of players. Currently boasting an amazing 140 different champions to play and master. Riot Games has quite a strong presence in the eSports world. Multi-million-dollar championships hosted by Riot have drawn in hundreds of thousands of viewers worldwide. They’ve even gone as far as making it onto ESPN+ for a televised event.
How to play: In a 5v5 match, players will fight for control of three lanes and jungles. The winning criteria is to destroy the enemy teams base or Nexus. Players must PvP and slay minions in order to purchase power-increasing items to gain advantage. Each lane is lined with automated towers that will attack players and minions. These towers must be destroyed to gain access to the enemy Nexus.
Reasons to try:
- Free to play, like everything else you’ll see on this list.
- Not pay-to-win. This game is supported by users who purchase skins and may unlock champions faster via Riot Points (RP). All champions are unlockable by playing the game without paying.
- Possibilities. The numbers of unique interactions you’ll have with players in this game very high. With 140 champions, the game allows you to explore many varieties and styles of gameplay. Counter picking or choosing an item build that is effective against enemies is ideal.
- Play with friends! League of Legends includes a friend and partying system for you to queue together with your friends. The giant population of this game allows you to find teammates to play with via social media or other platforms.
Apex Legends – First-Person Shooter BR by Respawn Entertainment
Unique characters and amazing movement!
Apex Legends took the Battle Royale scene by storm with its surprise launch in 2019. Introducing us to an exciting, fast paced extension of the Titanfall universe. With unique characters to choose from, you’ll find yourself picking a favorite after a while. Detailed effects to go along with each and every character ability, you’ll find yourself feeling like quite the badass. 14 Legends ranging from a dimension-hopping voidspeaker to a shield-throwing, airstrike-calling islander. The personalities in Apex Legends add that bit of extra detail that players really enjoy seeing from game developers. Great job, Respawn!
How to play: Firstly, this game operates the same way as other Battle Royales do. The first similarity is the winning criteria; survive and become the last player/team standing. You’ll find yourself escaping dangerous situations, achieving victory in over others, or waiting to be respawned by a teammate. Thats right, respawned! Apex Legends brought respawning your teammates into the genre. This is something we didn’t see in games like PUBG or Fortnite (something Epic Games added eventually). Again you will drop, loot, and fight for your right to be called an Apex Legend!
Reasons to try:
- Free to play! Did you see that one coming? Be honest… Did you?
- Smooth Gameplay and movement. Respawn did a very good job at making this free game flow in terms of gameplay. A personal favorite is the ability to climb up a wall and grab the ledge to pull yourself up. This mechanic allows you as a player to really explore and benefit from the 3D space around you. Sliding down giant slopes for extra speed will allow you to catch enemies attempting to evade.
- Easy to pick up and put down. Aside from map alterations and weapon tweaks, this game’s core gameplay loop or functionality will always stay the same. Like the other Battle Royale games, you’ll see the trait with them as well.
- Not pay-to-win. For example, players cannot purchase advantages for real money. The microtransactions for Apex Legends are purely aesthetic/cosmetic.
Call of Duty: Warzone – Free First-Person Shooter BR by Infinity Ward
It’s like multiplayer Call of Duty but a Battle Royale!
The Call of Duty franchise has been around for many years. Simulating wars from our history and some fictional titles featuring sci-fi themes. The Modern Warfare series has been successful for Infinity Ward; putting them into a position to make a great free Battle Royale game. By combining multiplayer elements such as killstreaks and class loadouts, Warzone offers a unique Battle Royale experience. Gameplay is streamlined to be simple enough for anyone to pickup and enjoy.
How to play: Choose a place for you and your squad to land. Loot weapons, ammunition, and equipment to fight off other players. Collect cash to purchase teammate respawns, killstreaks, loadout drops, or consumables to stay alive. Loadout drops will allow you to select a class that can be changed before entering the game. Doing so will give you access to your custom weapons with attachments and most importantly, perks. Gaining perks is extremely important for your survival. You will be given another chance should you fall before obtaining victory. Claim your freedom in the Gulag in a 1v1 against another player. Conquer the competition and fight to the end.
Reasons to try:
- Free. To. Play. Are you even listening?!
- An amazing BR for Call of Duty fans. The similarities between Warzone and traditional Call of Duty multiplayer are what draws a lot of people to it. Run and gun with your favorite SMG loadouts or pick off exposed players with long ranged weapons from the tree line!
- Content. The amount of players and content creators for Warzone draw a lot of appeal towards the game. If you find yourself wanting to take a break, you can always find and watch hilarious moments or professional players dominating. You’ll find comedic value or extremely helpful gameplay tips/mechanics to make the game more enjoyable.
- In and Out. We’ve talked about this before. Join and leave matches without penalties against you. Stay casual or stay competitive, its your choice!
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive – Free First-Person Shooter by Valve
A free, strategic shooter with an economy and large community.
The Counter-Strike community and franchise has been around since 2000. Players from all over the world have created maps, modes, and more for each and every version. This post we’ll be talking about Counter-Strike: Global Offensive or CS:GO as it it commonly referred to. This version of Counter-Strike is the most successful of the franchise. Valve’s success using this formula has not gone unnoticed and has sparked many cash prize, world-class tournaments for players to compete in. As of December, 2018 CS:GO is now a free game that you can play on Valve’s platform Steam.
How to play: The flagship gamemode of CS:GO is a 5v5, best of 30 rounds match. Players are split into 2 factions; terrorists and counter-terrorists. The objective of the game is very simple. As the terrorist group, you will need to eliminate all CS (counter-terrorists) or plant a single, unique bomb and defend it until detonation. If your team is eliminated without planting the bomb or your bomb is defused, you will lose the round. On the opposite side of the match, the CS will need to defend their bomb sites A and B. The goal here is to prevent the Ts (terrorists) from planting or detonating their bomb at one of these bomb sites. The First team to reach 16 round wins will claim victory for the match.
Reasons to try:
- Free to Play. I don’t know what else to say at this point. It’s free.
- Profitable. Yes, you can make money from trading in CS:GO. The games economy revolves around trading skins and keys. Keys are used to open cases that have loot tables with extremely low chances of valuable, desirable weapon appearances.
- Good Source for Developing Teamwork Skills. CS:GO is a very team-oriented game. If you decide to play this game competitively, prepare to have your aiming, strategy, and communication skills tested.
- Community Servers. CS:GO, like its predecessors, has community run servers with custom game modes and maps. You will often find fun servers hosting minigames, places to trade, or a place to improve your skills before using the official matchmaking system.
This was a bit of a long one, but content is the main goal. There are many free games online for us to explore and we will be making more content to introduce and discuss them. Our next post will be exploring 5 more free games you can get on PC that are engaging and fun to play. Comment down below if you want to see something specific or have feedback about this post. Until next time, thanks for reading!
Check out more content here!