Blizzard Entertainment’s upcoming expansion for their award-winning game World of Warcraft will take us to the Shadowlands. The Shadowlands are the realm of the dead, the world of souls and destination for mortals who pass away. Players will get to explore these lands of gloom and doom while potentially stumbling upon some familiar faces. Now lets talk about some of the recent news concerning a Solid State Drive (SSD) and Shadowlands.
Should I purchase a Solid State Drive (SSD) for Shadowlands?
With the recent announcement for World of Warcraft’s expansion Shadowlands, Blizzard Entertainment added a Solid State Drive (SSD) to its minimum system requirements. This alarmed many people, as they were not expecting such a change. The reason for this is: maybe a lot of WoW players are not tech savvy? Maybe this is their first time ever hearing of a Solid State Drive (SSD)? Whatever the case may be, it is okay. Recently Blizzard has removed this from their minimum system requirements and is now labeled as a recommendation. However, the updated table shows that an HDD will suffice, but you may experience performance impacts.
Why we think you should still purchase a Solid State Drive (SSD) for World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.
- We trust Blizzard’s word on what hardware is required to run their game. After decades of experience and development, Blizzard has earned our trust by evolving their technology and providing great service.
- If Raiding, Mythic+, and PvP are your main priorities then obtaining an SSD for your system should be a heavily considered. Performance impacts during these activities are stressful and taxing on your gameplay experience.
- If it is not explicitly required for Shadowlands, it very well may be in future patches or expansions. The time to get ahead of this problem is now while things in Battle For Azeroth are slowing down in preparation for its release.
Benefits of owning an SSD.
Affordability for SSDs has improved over the past few years. You can spend a reasonable amount of money and get what you’re looking for. Right now if I go to Amazon.com and search for 1 TB (Terabyte) SSDs, I’ll find an average of $85-$130 for 1 drive. We’ll settle somewhere in the middle at $100 for an SSD. Let’s do some simple math!
1 Terabyte = 1000 Gigabytes $100 / 1000 = $0.10 per Gigabyte
Ten cents per gigabyte! That is extremely affordable and guess what?! Shadowlands is only requiring 100 GB! This means Shadowlands is going to use 10% of your 1 TB SSD. The other 90% of your SSD can now store additional games for improved performance and loading times! Now you don’t HAVE to buy a 1 TB drive. You have many low price options below that, such as 250 GB, 500 GB, 750 GB. Some games in recent years have had problems working correctly due to loading times of assets. The less time you spend waiting, the more time you spend playing.
Loading Times and a Solid State Drive (SSD)
Using an SSD to load games is great, but what about my PC in general? A Solid State Drive can and will change your world outside of video games as well. Anything from file exploration, program launching, and turning on your PC will become faster. Of course, the previous sentence only applies if you’ve installed your operating system onto the SSD and are opening programs located on the SSD.
The real benefit here is time saved. A lot of people don’t have the time to sit and play video games for extended amounts of time, but it’s still their hobby and passion. Faster loading = more play time, more play time = a happier you. Faster loading = a happier YOU.
Here is an amazing example of a Hard Disk Drive vs Solid State Drive. In this YouTube video, you’ll see 3 different storage devices being compared side by side. Let’s focus on the middle and left panel and watch together! Here is a link to their channel, Testing Games.
In the beginning, you can clearly see the time advantage you have to gain when turning on your PC every day. Throughout the video you’ll even see an SSD load a game in 6 seconds compared to an HDD loading in 60 seconds! 10x longer to load into that specific game, at the same spot. The amount of time saved really adds up over a long period and you deserve to use your time playing!
An SSD in 2020 is a very solid option for speeding up some aspects of your PC’s performance. We recommend investing in one as soon as you can and use an online tutorial to install it. If you are unable to do this, ask a relative with some tech experience or a local computer shop. There is a lot of science and math that went in to creating the technology that we talked about today. Although we did not discuss any specifics in those fields here, we may in the future on a new post or by updating this one! As always, thank you for reading and have a nice day.
Check out more content on Blogforgamers.com!